Whether you decide to build a new home or buy an existing one, you’ll find your choice comes with both pros and cons. As the homeowner, you’ll have to decide what factors are most important for you and your family. Before you decide whether to build or buy, check out our guide to the pros and cons of each option.
New builds are new, up to date, and can have all the latest bells and whistles. As you weigh your options, consider what factors will have the biggest impact on your quality of life.
- Everything is brand new.
- Your home will need few or no repairs or component replacements in the first few years.
- Your home can be customized to meet your needs.
- It can be more energy efficient and environmentally friendly.
- You’re less likely to be surprised by hidden problems with the home.
- Custom home building takes longer than purchasing an existing home that’s on the market.
- A new home is likely to be more expensive per square foot.
- You have to wait to see the finished product until after you buy.
Buying an existing home comes with its own set of benefits and drawbacks.
- You can move in much sooner.
- Existing homes are almost always less expensive per square foot than their newly built counterparts.
- Older homes have history and charm that can’t be matched in a new home.
- Buying an established home allows you to live in a well developed neighborhood.
- You can see exactly what you are purchasing.
- You may need to replace major components like the roof, siding, or garage door in the near future.
- Renovation costs can add expenses and stress to your home-buying process.
- You’ll be fitting your lifestyle to the home rather than the other way around.
For each of the following factors, consider how a new build compares to an existing home, and determine what option is best for you.
A custom build minimizes immediate maintenance needs, but an existing home offers a quick transition.
The turnaround time for a custom build is longer, but an existing home may require major updates sooner.
A custom build typically costs more upfront, but an existing home may require costly renovations.
A custom build will have new features, but an existing home can offer distinctive character and charm.
If you’ve decided that a custom built home is the right choice for you, contact Castle Brook Builders in Omaha. The team at Castle Brook will walk you through each step of the home building process with professional guidance and expertise. Our primary objective is to make your dream home a reality. Schedule your consultation today!